2.3K views

I purchased and used PetCareRx Heartguard Plus for dogs as prescribed by my vet. When I returned my dog for her annual check at my animal clinic, we got the news that my poor dog tested positive for heart worms. I am very upset that my poor dog has to go through this treatment and I will be out $600.00 plus dollars and I will have saved nothing using this online pet medication supplier.

My vet told me that the online animal meds websites sometime use foreign suppliers for their medications which may not have same standards as U.S. suppliers.

Had an Experience with Petcarerx?

Comments

Crowley, Louisiana, United States #1068492

my dogs tested positive on it also!!Nothing to do with where you purchased the meds.

They just are not working anylonger..sadly

to TRH #1102670

It can have everything to do with where you purchased the medication.If you purchase it online, it's often a counterfeit product or as she said they get it from other countries that don't have the same standards as the US.

Heartworm prevention does work.

Dogs who are on it, and eventually test positive it's usually because of owner error.

Whether that's because they were late on the prevention or they missed 1 or more months on the prevention.

I've worked at a vet office for 6yrs and of all the pets who are on prevention (Proheart6 injection, triheart or trifexis) have never tested positive.

We use the top of the line Heartguard from our vet religiously, and one of our dogs tested positive. Resistant heartworm strain developing?

My dog has been on heartguard from my vet for the last 3 years and this last year with never skipping a treatment she has tested positive..This will be a 800$ expense.

Shouldn't the manufacture be responsible for paying for the meds to get rid of the heart worm?.

My vet said they should..What was the purpose of using this well known product if I am paying for this big expense now..

to poohlulu Plano, Texas, United States #997796

The manufacturers do pay for treatment if you can prove you purchased the drug on a regular basis without missing doses. You also have to show a negative heartworm test in the last 6-12 months typically. In addition, they require you purchase it through a vet or reputable site where the drugs come direct from the manufacturer and are not sold by third parties to the supplier.

I purchased my dog when he was 3 mos old and he has been on Heartguard FAITHFULLY every month since I have owned him. At the age of 1 1/2 he was diagnosed with heartworms. We have been treating him with Doxycycline for 9 months now and he is still positive for heartworms.

OK--GUYS THINK--IF ITS THE SAME BRAND--SAME STUFF--DOESNT MANNER WHERE U BOUGHT IT--THEY ALL GET IT FROM THE SAME PLACE!!AND YES I HAD A DOG WITH HEARTWORMS--A STRAY WE GOT AND TOOK TO A VET--WAS TESTED FIRST TIME OK SECOND TIME NOT OK--BUT VET PAID FOR THE PROCEDURE.

PLEASE JUST LOOK AT THE THE LABEL--MOST OF THEM ARE THE EXACT SAME!JUST GIVE THEM TO UR PETS!!

to CHARLES GRAY #1102672

If it has the same name it doesn't mean it's the same product or has the same ingredients or the same dose of ingredients. If you buy it online they often get it from other countries who don't have the same standards and alot of the times it's a counterfeit product.

This is why you should never order medication online

Your dog must be tested negative and again at 6 months while on preventative to be truly heartworm negative. In Mississippi we are seeing hundreds of dogs test positive while on Ivermectin preventatives.

I know a lot of vet techs.Most cases of + heartworm tests of dogs that owners say they give prevention to later find a place outside or behind a couch or something where the dog takes the medicine and spits it out after they think it eats it.

I give my dogs the chewable pill followed by either food or a treat before they leave my sight that way I KNOW they ate it and are not keeping it in their mouth.

DOGS ARE SMARTER THAN HUMANS GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR!!They are completely capable of hiding a pill in their mouth just as we are!!