1.3

Alas, I too fell for the "75% Off" scam that they pull. I received an email earlier this week from PetCareRX offering the 75% Off code, a screenshot of which I've attached.

I ordered two boxes of Revolution, one for each of my dogs, at a total of $110 shipped. Later in the day I checked my bank account online, and I saw that I had a charge for $53.13. I went to my email and saw that there was a receipt for signing up for an annual "PetPlus" membership for that exact cost. I was apoplectic.

I never consented to a membership at all! Well, here's how they get you: 1) You receive the email and think you're going to save a ton off your medication order, and since there's no indication of any fine print (no asterisk, no "see terms and conditions below", no "with purchase of annual PetPlus membership" - nothing), unless you scroll to the bottom of the email, past all the ads for different medications and get to the "Fine Print." I've attached a photo of that, as well, and you can see that there's no indication that the "membership" has a fee involved either. 2) Since the code itself makes no reference to it, you likely don't see any of this "Fine Print" so you go to use the code and place an order. 3) When you go to the item pages you see two separate prices listed: one with the "normal" price, and one with the "PetPlus" member price.

I made a point to select the normal priced version, as I didn't want to sign up for the service. (see photo) 4) In the cart, you see your items and a field for a promo code (see photo). Now if you look to the right side of the checkout page, you'll see the "PetPlus" opt-in box, note that the box to agree to sign up for the service is unchecked! 5) As soon as you enter the code, the price reflects the 75% off, but if you look closely, you'll see that the PetPlus membership box has been automatically checked!

It signs you up for the service without any consent! And since it doesn't add this membership as a line-item in your cart, nor does it show the price of the membership in your total, you would have no idea that you just agreed (surreptitiously) to paying for this service! 6) When you click the big yellow "checkout" button it sends you to the checkout page, which again, does not include the price of the membership in your total. (see photo) It does have a reference to "PetPlus membership billed separately," but if you never consented to a membership, you wouldn't think this applied to your order, right?

Especially since there still hasn't been any notification that completion of this purchase authorizes the company to charge you for and/or enroll you in their membership program. So to recap: they send you a code with no reference to a paid membership service, you select the products without the membership pricing to avoid the membership, you do not add the membership to your cart, you use the code they sent you which automatically enrolls you into their service without any notice, and then they purposefully keep the charge of the membership separate from your cart and the checkout so you complete your order without ever realizing that they've duped you into paying an additional $50+ for something you neither wanted, nor were even aware of. When I called to argue the charge, the service rep AND the call center manager both tried to hide behind the claim that "the fine print" of the code email indicated that a membership was involved. Note that this was the exact term they both used - "the fine print" - which is also the term they use on the mail, so I believe they are trained to explicitly use this as an excuse when customers call to complain.

It is obvious that they have been sending this email for quite some time, and have never added an asterisk to the code, or any indication of the code's terms and conditions, so I am certain that this is not simply an accident that just happens to catch their customers -- it's not a bug. This is purely intentional, and it is an ongoing attempt to defraud unknowing customers. I cannot imagine just how many customers they have bilked for $50+ who don't notice the charge on their credit card statements, or worse, the folks they get for multiple years since it looks like this thing auto-renews and auto-bills annually. Of course, I will never, ever order anything from PetCareRX again, but I also think that NYS Attorney General Eric Schneiderman should look into this company for this practice.

And I would imagine that since most of their customers are coming from outside of New York State, they are committing federal wire fraud by electronically conning customers across state lines - in other words, there should be grounds for the FBI to conduct an investigation.

In the meantime, it's my hope that this review will help prevent other customers from being ripped off by this criminal enterprise. DO NOT ORDER FROM PETCARERX.COM!

Product or Service Mentioned: Petcarerx 75 Percent Off Coupon.

Reason of review: Your email coupon code is a total scam to defraud your customers, and you know it.

Preferred solution: My refund is being processed, but you should cease and desist sending any further emails with the PetPlus75 code UNLESS you explicitly state that using it enrolls the customer in the $50 yearly membership & add a mandatory opt-out option during checkout.

I didn't like: Fraudulent, Over and double charged, Scam, Deceitful email promotion, Combative customer service.

Comments

Buffalo, New York, United States #1349266

they have owed me a refund of $5.43 for over a month . they blamed my bank and said money was released to me.

I have sent many emails and now they are ignoring me.

probably will not get the refund. do yourself a favor and don't do business with this company.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States #1344804

The exact same thing happened to me. Although their "discount" prices were higher than other online pet care sellers, I figured for the great initial discount on my initial purchase that I would continue to order from them.

NOT ANY MORE!!!

They are *** artists and my experience with Petcareplus was a giant PIA! Do not do business with this company!