PetcareRX - My dog tested positive for heartworms after taking Heartguard

I purchased and used PetCareRx Heartguard Plus for dogs as prescribed by my vet. When I returned my dog for her annual check at my animal clinic, we got the news that my poor dog tested positive for heart worms. I am very upset that my poor dog has to go through this treatment and I will be out $600.00 plus dollars and I will have saved nothing using this online pet medication supplier.

My vet told me that the online animal meds websites sometime use foreign suppliers for their medications which may not have same standards as U.S. suppliers.

review #160617
1 6 Helpful?
Had the same issue4 Comments21
Had an experience with PetcareRX?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 13 #1007060

We use the top of the line Heartguard from our vet religiously, and one of our dogs tested positive. Resistant heartworm strain developing?

poohlulu

Feb 09 #943419

My dog has been on heartguard from my vet for the last 3 years and this last year with never skipping a treatment she has tested positive.. This will be a 800$ expense. Shouldn't the manufacture be responsible for paying for the meds to get rid of the heart worm?. My vet said they should.. What was the purpose of using this well known product if I am paying for this big expense now..

Jun 21 #997796 Plano, Texas

The manufacturers do pay for treatment if you can prove you purchased the drug on a regular basis without missing doses. You also have to show a negative heartworm test in the last 6-12 months typically. In addition, they require you purchase it through a vet or reputable site where the drugs come direct from the manufacturer and are not sold by third parties to the supplier.

Donna

Jul 15, 2011 #313046

I purchased my dog when he was 3 mos old and he has been on Heartguard FAITHFULLY every month since I have owned him. At the age of 1 1/2 he was diagnosed with heartworms. We have been treating him with Doxycycline for 9 months now and he is still positive for heartworms.

CHARLES GRAY

May 02, 2011 #281592

OK--GUYS THINK--IF ITS THE SAME BRAND--SAME STUFF--DOESNT MANNER WHERE U BOUGHT IT--THEY ALL GET IT FROM THE SAME PLACE!! AND YES I HAD A DOG WITH HEARTWORMS--A STRAY WE GOT AND TOOK TO A VET--WAS TESTED FIRST TIME OK SECOND TIME NOT OK--BUT VET PAID FOR THE PROCEDURE. PLEASE JUST LOOK AT THE THE LABEL--MOST OF THEM ARE THE EXACT SAME! JUST GIVE THEM TO UR PETS!!

VetDr

Apr 19, 2011 #276250

Your dog must be tested negative and again at 6 months while on preventative to be truly heartworm negative. In Mississippi we are seeing hundreds of dogs test positive while on Ivermectin preventatives.

Melody

Mar 27, 2011 #265780

I know a lot of vet techs. Most cases of + heartworm tests of dogs that owners say they give prevention to later find a place outside or behind a couch or something where the dog takes the medicine and spits it out after they think it eats it.

I give my dogs the chewable pill followed by either food or a treat before they leave my sight that way I KNOW they ate it and are not keeping it in their mouth. DOGS ARE SMARTER THAN HUMANS GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR!! They are completely capable of hiding a pill in their mouth just as we are!!

wls

Mar 07, 2011 #257456

My dog also tested positive for heartworms after being on Heartguard for years. My vet said for some reason in the Memphis and surrounding areas this has been happening and they really are not sure why. The dogs are becoming immune. I am very sad and I know the next 3 months will be rough but she is worth it! My vet also said most likely heartguard will pay for the treatment.

kurt

Jan 22, 2011 #238736

i just found out that my dog tested postive for heartworms. my dog has been on heartgard since he was a pup.(he is now 2) i buy my meds from the vet and am waiting to hear from heartgard about paying for the treatment. I am very pissed about this!!! not only having to pay the remaining balance but do u realize trying to keep a 2 yr old choc lab from any exercising? this is gonna be a very hard 3-4 months on my family and most of all my dog!!!!!

Jan

Jan 13, 2011 #235642

My dog ended up with hookworm after using Heartgard for many years. I later found out that larger dogs can swallow the chew tablet WHOLE and pass WHOLE therefor doing nothing...SO rip those chews in tiny pieces first to insure absorbtion. What else can we do?

Heather

Nov 16, 2010 #212345

The reason why a dog would test positive after being on Heartgard has absolutely nothing to do with the efficacy of the medication in most cases, but it does have to do with the life cycle of the heartworm. This is why you can't replace your vet with an online pharmacy. Try calling your vet...they will explain how this can happen, it happens all the time. Did you know your dog can have heartworms for 6 months before testing positive with the normal antigen test. Its because the worms must be sexually active to trigger a positive test. Most cases of heartworms can be traced back to a failure to protect during the entire exposure time. Stop ranting on here about stuff you know nothing about and get educated. Call that vet that you are trying to buy nothing from, give no business to, and get some free advice. At least you will know its trustworthy and not nonsense written by people who don't know what they are talking about.

jess

Mar 06, 2013 #619063

Actually heartworm medicine doesn't protect your dog by preventing a heartworm infestation. It kills the worms after they have already been put in the blood. So with that said even after the "unprotected period" wouldn't taking heartguard kill the worms like it was meant to do? Especially if taken for 6 months after the infestation at the "unprotected period"?

Labride

Oct 23, 2010 #203344

Yes, you can blame the company. My dog is suffering horribly right now. He has gotten heartworms three times after being treated FAITHFULLY with Heartguard. The company has paid for his treatment each time!!! All of my medications have been purchased from my vet and representatives of the company have disclosed that where I live the drug is NOT effective. The vets were not told this in advance and neither were the owners...the companies kept this to themselves and did not disclose. There is a class action pending in Mississippi.

DogLvr

Oct 08, 2010 #198501

Thanks, Jake. I have never had a problem with PetCareRX but whenever I go to my vet they always try to make me buy from them. Their excuse today was that they did not know where you purchase the drugs since they don't get it from a distributor. I'm glad you put that myth to rest as far as PetCareRX for me.

Jess

Aug 02, 2010 #171252

I am sorry your dog is going through the treatment for heartworms. I recently "adopted" a dog from a friend of mine and didnt know it until i took her to the vet that she was positive for heartworms. I paid to have the treatment done, she is worth it!! i get to bring her home today but in a month she has to go back for more treatment. Heartguard is what we will have to use for her since she has had heartworms, there is always a chance that she could have the larva in her and if she takes anything else it could kill her. But here is my response, its nobodys fault that a dog or any other animal gets heartworms, its comes from mosquitos, but its def not the palce where you get the medicines fault, its not their fault that you go the cheap route to buy the medicine for your animals. You shouldnt care what the cost is when it comes to your dog, they are just like kids and you should want to do whatever possible to help them. You wanted them so take care of them and stop blaming the company. you should have done more research and should have bought the medicine from your vet or another vet that you can see and talk to and go to if you have questions. I only want whats best for my 2 dogs! I paid out of pocket to get mine treated for heartworms and im not complaining or saying anyone else should have to pay for it. she is my pet and i love her very much!! I pay close to 90$ for the heart worm medicine for my rat terrier and ill pay whatever the cost for the heart guard for my jack... Show more

JDH

Jun 03, 2010 #149836

Been haveing the same experience with PetCareRX and they are not wanting to pay the full amount to treat my dog after contracting heartworms. This has been going on now for 3 months and still no answer. This is truly a bad company to do business with.

Shelley

May 07, 2010 #141086

How can we tell if a product comes from a foreign supplier? How can we protect our pets?

Carey

Feb 12, 2010 #114474

Drs. Fosters and Smith has Heartgard Plus, along with the generic Tri-Heart Plus that is made by Schering Plough, a reputable pharmaceutical company. I've had 2 dogs on it, and no problems even in MN - the land of 10,000 mosquito lakes.

Celia

Feb 09, 2010 #113097

In response to Jake. That's great that Pet Care Rx will reimburse the cost if one of our animals gets heartworms will taking the medicine bought off of your website. But why would they get heartworms in the first place if they've been taking the meds? Something doesn't add up, and how would Pet Care Rx reimburse the time and stress of worrying about your pet? I understand the buying in bulk concept, and it makes sense. BUT there are two ppl in this complaint that have had the same experience of buying heartworm meds for their pet, using them faithfully, and their pet still getting heartworms. Two ppl is enough for me to believe (not to mention that this wasn't the only link about complaints on Pet Care Rx on my google search) Buying for price at the risk of my pet's health is not worth it.

V

Jan 06, 2010 #101655

I just had the same experience with PetCareRX. I had my dog from 6 months old, and had him started on heartworm medication as soon as the vet reccomned. Last year he turned two, and I decided to try and save some money by ordering from PetCareRX. My dog tested positive for heartworms around 9 months afterwards. I gave him the Heartguard faithfully each month.
The treatment has cost me over $800, not to mention the longterm damage to my German Shephard's organs, and 2 months I had to keep a 100lb dog confined. PetCareRx has shirked. First they said they would only to pay a small portion, then they came back and said around $500. Now they are simply not responding to my faxes or emails. This has been going on for 4 months now. Their customer service agent Barbara said they are only responsible for the treatment's PetCareRX deems necessary. My vet said she has seen this through several online sites, and with PetcareRX. I am planning legal action. If I can find others like you that have been lied to by PetCareRX, a class action suit may be in order. It's digusting this company toutes they a guarantee. PetcareRx will be reported to the EPA and FDA as well.

1-20 of 21 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about PetcareRX.
Filing a new complaint about
×